Photo by Susan
- 1 bar of soap (shaved) –– Fels-Naphtha or Ivory work the best as they are low sudsing
- 1 cup of borax
- 1 cup of washing soda
Mix the ingredients together. Store in a mason jar or other container. Use 1tbsp per load (or 2 tbsp per load if heavily soiled).
A few things to note:
- You should be able to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 32-64 loads out of the batch, depending on how many tablespoons are used for each load.
- You can expect to spend approximately $10 purchasing the materials. After making your first batch, you will quickly realize that you will have enough materials to make multiple batches.
- Between the easy of making and the low cost for materials, you will probably be left wondering why you didn’t do this sooner. Over the course of a year a family can save quite a bit of money by making their own detergent.
- Powdered detergent isn’t the only option. I’ll post a recipe for liquid detergent in the near future.